Why has Early Childhood Education become so Important?
When we started learning, our basics began from our parents, teaching us elementary knowledge of the things around us and when it was time for school, we started with nursery and then leveled up from there on. At present it’s not the case, education system has changed for the better. The introduction of early childhood education is drastically at peak now since the last few years. In India, the market for preschool education has been growing with private and some government schools, bringing out change to the curriculum to meet global standards. Schools are stepping up their game by introducing preschools and early childhood programs for building better foundation for children with improved preschool models.
Early Childhood Education has become very significant today, due to urbanization. The economic pressure and changes in lifestyle have resulted in both parents equally sharing the workload. We can also see the split from joint families to nuclear families and therefore, to meet the needs of a working parent, they opt to send their children to day care centers and preschools. What is most important to understand other than the above mentioned factors is that, preschool education is necessary for the child’s growth in various levels.
Why should a child go to Preschool?
Kids from the age group of 3-6 years can learn almost everything taught to them. Hence, Montessori education helps in the development of the physical, language, emotional, social and mental areas of the child. To enhance these skills, it is important for the child to be in a good stimulating environment, which a preschool can provide. Not every home can give an enriched environment to their children and due to the living space constraints, parents prefer sending their child to preschool, to provide them the freedom of movement.
The appropriate age to begin preschool for a child solely depends on how mentally and physically prepared the child is, typically the child can start with early childhood education from 18 months to 5 years. In India preschool consists of Play School, Day Care, Kindergarten and Upper KG.
Long gone are those days where rote learning was a way of teaching and a way of learning for children. In the long run, this has not yielded much results in boosting the memory of the child, instead what has been retained has also been lost. What we are looking for is learning through play, this is what children today prefer, so we need to keep these 10 points in mind while choosing the right school.
- Take a look at what the classroom has to offer for the child, do you find block games, arts and crafts, hands on activities for children, then this is a place to pick. The curriculum should focus on improving the child’s basic five areas of development, which is physical, cognitive, language, social and emotional development.
- Look for a child safe environment with colorful furniture, rugs and carpets on the floor, have a look at their washrooms, etc. Some schools have their own private doctors or nurses to care for kids, who are ill or need assistance during this time.
- You need to ask the following questions; Are the teacher’s child friendly, do they interact well with children? Are they well trained? Do you find them talking eye to eye with your child? Are the classrooms full of joy? Are the teachers able to strike normal conversations to make your child feel comfortable in their presence? Ask about the school from sources you know or talk to parents to get better inputs about the school,
if you find your answers, you can make your decision.
- Transport depends on your preference as a parent, but if the school is offering transport, there is nothing like it. Make sure, to ask about the pick- up points and timings. When it comes to safety and transport, ask if there will be a staff from the school to accompany the children during pick- up and drop.
- Outdoor Area is one of the main areas of preschool and every preschool model should have an allotted space for outdoor. School outdoor area has to be a safe play environment for kids. There should be outdoor toys present like swings, slides, rockers, etc. The closer to nature this area is the better, so look at the atmosphere of this area.
- Next is the Library, see to it that the class has a corner or has some kind of exposure to books for storytelling and reading. Here kids can sit and develop their reading skills, through picture reading, with fun decorations of story book characters. These small aspects make a big difference in your child’s learning.
- Ask about the class schedule and timings, when the class begins, subjects involved and how the day goes by for the kids.
- The school atmosphere should be fun and interactive, the classrooms should be vibrant, attractive, lively and bright.
- Teacher- Parent Communication should be effective and immediate. Notices should be delivered timely and parents should be kept in a loop about important events in school.
- Some schools offer after school programs or skill enhancement programs, this does wonders in improving your child’s abilities in various subjects. Schools also have summer holiday activities and camps, this is a good way for the child to interact, learn and be occupied during their holidays.
Every student can learn, just not on the same day or in the same way.george evans
picture courtesy: <a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/background”>Background vector created by vectorpocket – www.freepik.com</a>
<a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/tree”>Tree vector created by vectorpouch – www.freepik.com</a>
<a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/school”>School vector created by vectorpouch – www.freepik.com</a>
<a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/background”>Background vector created by vectorpouch – http://www.freepik.com</a>